Steam Heat Specialization
Caring properly for your steam heat system will you save money and provide peace of mind of knowing your system is operating safely.
Steam heating systems are a specialty of Delpo’s professional, licensed heating contractors. Caring for them properly will not only save you money in the long run through greater efficiency, but will provide peace of mind knowing that your system is operating safely.
How we can help
With our yearly service, we provide a fully comprehensive maintenance routine to ensure optimal performance, safety and longevity.
- We inspect your steam boiler for optimum operation by:
- Draining down your boiler
- Inspecting and cleaning site glass
- Removing sludge from the boiler
- Checking safety features
- Refilling to keep your steam boiler working at optimal performance
- If you are having problems with knocking we can make sure that every radiator is sloped properly to prevent those irritating knocking and clanging noises.
- We check the vents to make sure that they aren’t blocked or need replacement. Corrosion and paint can keep the vent from venting and then air trapped in the radiator prevents steam from entering the radiator.
- We check the position of the inlet valves. A partially open or shut valve does nothing to regulate heat and causes knocking and clanging.
- We will advise you of current code and make suggestions if your boiler is missing any necessary safety features in order to bring you up to code. For example, adding an automatic water valve and low water cutoff to the system can prevent your boiler cracking or exploding, as the valve monitors water levels and adds water ever so slowly to avoid damaging the boiler.
- We also advise you on the newest innovations to make your steam heating system run at its peak performance.
Important maintenance tasks
- Check the steam gauge regularly. Make sure that it’s within the normal range. If it isn’t, shut the system down immediately and call our trained steam heat specialist for service.
- Check the safety valve every month. Located on the top of the boiler, this important valve vents excess pressure if the boiler goes crazy and exceeds safe levels. When the system is hot, push down on the handle to see if steam comes out. Stand away from the outlet — the steam is boiling hot. If no steam comes out, call our trained steam heat specialist for service.
- Check the water level once a month. The water-level gauge has valves on each side. Open them both and make sure that the water level is in the middle, if it is not call Delpo Plumbing Heating & Cooling for service.
Contact us today to ensure your boiler is properly installed and maintained with the utmost in safety and performance for your home.